Go Back   The Boa Network Forum Boards > Boa Constrictor Center > Boa Constrictor Breeding
User Name
Password

Cheap Rat Rack
Unread 02-08-2003, 04:09 PM
oOSpOOkYOo Offline

Default Cheap Rat Rack

Just made it the other day. I had 3 pregnent females with 2 males and another female so I needed a bit more room. From top to bottem (very top has my cow mouse and his girlfriend), 2 pregnant females, 1 female gave birth this morning, and 1 female with week old babies. The tank has my pimp, i mean stud, and 1 female. The rack is on casters so it's easy to manuver. It was only 15$ from kmart and the drawers are about 2.5 times larger than shoe boxes and tall enough for a full grown female to stand up.

Re: Cheap Rat Rack
Unread 02-08-2003, 04:11 PM
oOSpOOkYOo Offline

Default Re: Cheap Rat Rack

here's the watering system, it's the easiest I could conjure and it doubles as a locking sytem, nifty huh? -sTEVE

Unread 02-08-2003, 04:52 PM
BigOz Offline

Pretty Clever... how's the smell? Can you keep it down? There is nothing like breeding your own rats. That way you know they are healthy and your snakes are getting only the best! When i found out that the rats I was picking up at the local show were lab rats i freaked! :

That was the end of that... I have way too much money invested in my animals to take chances like that. There is no telling what type of chemicals or biologics they were exposed to. Okay, enough rambling.

Later,
Oz

Unread 02-08-2003, 09:21 PM
oOSpOOkYOo Offline

the cell sorb is GREAT at keeping the smell down, see that lil white/green thing on the floor in the first pic? it's an airfreshener, and I have an ionic de-stinker thats made out of pvc pipe thats not in the pic, but the cellsorb really helps absorb the pee pee and da poopies. -sTEVE

Unread 02-08-2003, 11:17 PM
BigOz Offline

Is cellsorb a bedding? If so, where do you get it? And how much does it cost?

Thanks,
Oz

Unread 02-08-2003, 11:29 PM
oOSpOOkYOo Offline

yup, it's the ULTIMATE SUBSTRATE!!, lol... I use it in ALL of my animal cages, boas, mice, rats, etc. If you have a pet supplies plus in your area it's the cheapest i've ever seen there, 5$ for a small 5lb bag, or 10$-13$ for a 20lb bag. I live in columbus, ohio and we dont have them down here so whenever I go hokme I buy about 3-4 bags to bring back lol. Theres a place that sells it down the road but they claim to be the only place that sells it in southern ohio so they charge 30$ a large bag. Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.theboaforum.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1039724486

The website listed in that thread has links to online distributors, and local stores. -sTEVE

Unread 02-09-2003, 05:49 AM
The_Boaphile Offline
Administrator

Uh oh,

Creative? Yes. Innovative? You bet. However, I understand that this was a cheap rack that will work well. That is until your rats get bored and figure out that those tubs have corners on the inside that they can chew. Chew? Did I say chew? Yup, chewing is what rats were born to do and chew they will. It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow but they will chew and likely make that escapable hole overnight when you will find an empty tub. It is really hard to find a good tub for rodents. Nobody making and selling tubs for human storage needs is thinking at all about rats and the fact that rats chew. Good luck and do let us know about your adventures when you have to look for those wayward rats that may be chewing your electrical or other important parts of your house. Just my two cents worth that I thought I might let you know.

Have fun!

Jeff

only Re: Cheap Rat Rack
Unread 02-09-2003, 09:10 AM
oOSpOOkYOo Offline

Default only Re: Cheap Rat Rack

oh I know, they chewed up some of the small drawers I had before, I don't really mind as long as its getting it job done now. I only plan on keeping them until they are weaned and then THUD! the big freeze. Then use it for whatever. Once I move into a different apartment in june ill build something more permanent. -sTEVE

p.s. everything is in a small 2.5'x4' utility closet theirs not much damage they can do in there. -sTEVE